5.1. Composition Basics
- Composition principles can help you produce great food photos by creating a story and guiding your viewer’s eye throughout the picture and towards the most important elements of the picture. This is done by organizing the frame with props in a certain way and/or adding movement, color, depth and contrast to help you create a food story and to make it interesting.
- Composition techniques are all about how you position your food items and props on your photos.
- You can use any of these tools separately or combine them in any way you want because most of the times these tools will reinforce each other.
- Start crafting your composition with a story in mind. Think about the atmosphere you want to create and the emotions you want to evoke with your picture. Is it light and airy or cozy and comforting?
- Try to think about what is special about the dish you are going to photograph and how you can show it to the viewer.